Who Can Benefit From Biofeedback Therapy In Charlotte?
Stress – personal, social, familial, and professional – often increases the symptoms of conditions such as substance use disorders and mental illnesses. When individuals are not equipped with the appropriate skills needed to cope with stress, these conditions can grow to become much worse. And, the longer that symptoms related to these issues persist, the more likely an individual is to suffer from upsetting consequences.
Instead of looking to a bottle of alcohol or a handful of pills to alleviate stress, individuals can instead utilize more natural and healthy treatments that can allow for stress relief. A proven effective treatment that is used throughout several different addiction treatment centers and healthcare facilities is biofeedback therapy.
What is Biofeedback Therapy?
Biofeedback therapy is a treatment technique that can help individuals develop ways to control the functions of their bodies. The way in which it is done is through the use of medical equipment, such as sensors, that can help individuals gather more information about their body. This specific therapy is often used to help those who are experiencing issues related to the following:
- High blood pressure
- Anxiety disorders
- Chronic pain
- Eating disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Types of Biofeedback Therapy
There exist a number of different kinds of biofeedback techniques that can help people that are experiencing several different kinds of conditions and symptoms. Depending on the individual and his or her specific treatment needs, he or she might be treated with one or more of the following biofeedback techniques, according to the Mayo Clinic:
- Brainwave — Through the use of sensors placed on the scalp, healthcare professionals can monitor brain waves with the use of an electroencephalograph (commonly referred to as an EEG)
- Respiratory function – To monitor one’s breathing rate, this form of biofeedback therapy includes placing bands on the abdomen and chest
- Heart rate – The application of finger and earlobe sensors, along with sensors put on one’s chest, wrists, and torso, his or her heart rate can be determined
- Muscles – By putting sensors over skeletal muscles, any and all electrical activity that causes muscles to contract can be monitored
- Sweat glands – Sensors go on the wrists, palms, and/or fingers to determine the activity occurring within your sweat glands
- Temperature – An individual will have sensors placed on his or her fingers or feet to monitor blood flow
Each one of these processes might seem strange at first glance, however, they are capable of helping determine the physiological responses of the body when someone experiences something like stress, anxiety, or compulsive behavior. As the “feedback” is determined, individuals can begin developing ways to control their physiological responses to these kinds of issues, thus improving their overall physical, psychological, and spiritual wellbeing.
What to Expect in a Biofeedback Therapy Session
The idea of a biofeedback therapy session might be off-putting to some, especially because being hooked up to machines can be overwhelming. However, biofeedback therapy is painless and can be very effective.
When going to a biofeedback therapy session, individuals can expect several different things. For starters, the therapist will assess the individual’s medical and psychological history and conduct a few tests to better understand what kinds of biofeedback might work best. At that point, therapy can begin.
Within about a span of 30-60 minutes, a biofeedback therapist will conduct appropriate tests (such as those above) and provide patients with some practices that he or she can do at home to better remedy the physiological responses that have been identified.
It most cases, biofeedback therapy lasts anywhere from two to three months, however, some patients participate in sessions for much longer if necessary.
Benefits of Biofeedback Therapy
Many of the benefits that biofeedback therapy can offer are specific to the condition that an individual is treating. However, on the whole, biofeedback therapy can produce a number of benefits for those who participate in one or more forms of this care, including the following:
- Decreases pain – This can be especially beneficial for those who, for instance, became addicted to prescription painkillers when prescribed them for a pain condition but who need another form of pain management.
- Minimizes anxiety – Anxiety is one of the most common mental health conditions in the world, and even those who do not suffer from full-blown anxiety can experience feelings of it throughout their lives. Biofeedback can help provide insight on how to manage anxiety.
- Reduces stress – Any kind of mental health problem or physical condition can (and usually does) produce stress. Through biofeedback therapy, individuals can develop healthy ways to manage that stress.
Other benefits of biofeedback therapy can include improved sleep, better impulse control, and maximized gut health.
Getting Help Today Through Our Biofeedback Therapy In Charlotte
If you are in the midst of a mental health crisis such as an untreated mental illness or a substance use disorder, you are probably facing a multitude of challenges within your everyday life. And while it might be frightening to reach out for help, doing so can be imperative to your overall wellbeing.
Biofeedback therapy, along with other forms of evidence-based therapies, can help you begin to appropriately cope with whatever struggles you are being weighed down by. You have the power to take your wellbeing into your own hands and improve upon it step by step.
Do not wait any longer to get the help that you need to be happy and healthy. Reach out to our Biofeedback Therapy In Charlotte today. We can help.
We have staff ready to take your call. We’re here to listen. Right now.
We Accept Most Insurance Plans!
Reach out right now
We Treat People, Not Problems
Don’t wait any longer to demand the best for yourself. Harmony Recovery Group believes in your future. Send a message to receive more information.