Adventure therapy is a fun and invigorating way to teach people important lessons in their recovery from addiction or in treatment from mental health illnesses. Some lessons you might learn include communication, trust, team-building, overcoming obstacles and perseverance. Here at Harmony Recovery Center in Charlotte, NC, we offer adventure therapy as part of our treatment programs.
Activities in Adventure Therapy
Depending on what recovery program you are in, there may be a variety of fun, life-skill building activities in adventure therapy sessions. Some of these activities include:
- Ropes course and climbing poles
- Leap of faith and trust fall
- Swinging log
- Rope swing
- Secret maze
- Vertical playpen
- Roller system
It is important to have fun while you are in recovery. These activities can help to add more fun to your recovery program. You can reach out to our team and we can discuss more about how these activities can play a role in your recovery. In the meantime, it may be beneficial to know a bit about how they could help you.
How Adventure Therapy Helps
There are different types of adventure therapies that allow you to have hands-on experiences. Each therapy activity helps get your body and mind engaged in your recovery. You can learn about metaphors for obstacles in life and gain new, healthy perspectives on various obstacles, too. Throughout the adventure therapy sessions, you can gain trust in others, feel accomplished and reach new personal achievements without self-destructive patterns, alcohol or drugs.
Whether you are in one of our mental health programs or addiction treatment center programs, adventure therapy can benefit you in so many ways.
Themes Commonly Used in Adventure Therapy Sessions
Each adventure therapy session you attend will revolve around a particular theme that is related to recovery. Some commonly used themes in these sessions include:
- Handling frustration: During the sessions, you can learn to take a moment to breathe, so you can create healthy boundaries when you get frustrated (the intention is to release the frustration that way you can think and make decisions clearly).
- Learn through play: Adventure therapy is great because it allows you to get back to your roots of playing as a child. Many people think that adults don’t have the time to play. In all honesty, they have the time but don’t make it a priority. Remembering that play is important can help you to reduce stress in your recovery.
- Getting help from others: When attending these sessions with others who are in recovery, you can learn that relying on others can help you to feel supported. It can also help to hold you accountable for your own actions, as well.
- Consistency and dedication: Adventure therapy can also teach you that being consistent with your actions and staying dedicated to the task you are doing can help you to be more productive and successful in recovery.
These are some of the numerous themes that are used in adventure therapy. Now that you know what they are, you can understand more about what you will be learning through these therapy sessions.
Start a Treatment Program with Adventure Therapy Today
Do you struggle with an addiction to harmful substances? If so, contact us today at Harmony Recovery Center in Charlotte, NC. We can get you started with adventure therapy as part of your treatment program.
We Accept Most Insurance Plans!
Reach out right now
We Treat People, Not Problems
Don’t wait any longer to demand the best for yourself. Harmony Recovery Group believes in your future. Send a message to receive more information.